- Nine RSHC Partners Selected as Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
- 19 RSHC Partners Named 2024 Best Lawyers® Award Recipient
- 2023 Illinois Super Lawyers, Patricia Brown Holmes Ranked Top 10 Second Consecutive Year
- 16 RSHC Partners Named to 2023 Best Lawyers® List
- 10 RSHC Partners Named Among Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
- RSHC Recognized By Chambers for Excellence in Commercial Litigation and White Collar Work
- RSHC'S 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers, Patricia Brown Holmes Ranked Top 10
- 13 RSHC Partners Named to 2022 Best Lawyers® List
- RSHC Ranked as a Leading Firm by Chambers USA
- RSHC's 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers, Holmes and Safer Receive Top Ranking
- Ron Safer, Matt Crowl and Team Attacked Leaders of Gangster Disciples - A Lasting Gift to the City of Chicago
- Nine RSHC Partners Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List
- Nine RSHC Partners Named To 2020 Best Lawyers® List
- RSHC Attorneys Named 2019 Illinois Leading Lawyers and Emerging Lawyers
- 2019 Illinois Super Lawyers and Top Rankings for Holmes and Safer
Matt's deep experience with juries, judges, and government officials helps him solve his clients' most difficult and complex problems. Lists can be boring but not when they're about Matt's accomplishments. Just to name a few: he is a fellow in the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers and has tried over 40 federal and state jury trials and arbitrations, winning numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts; he has successfully guided scores of corporations and individuals through complex litigation, sensitive internal investigations, and government compliance and enforcement matters both within the U.S. and overseas; he has deep experience with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), healthcare, banking, securities, tax, accounting, employment, white collar crime, whistle-blower, inspector general, and government contracting and program matters; and while in public service he worked with the Chicago Police Department, state and federal agencies, and community groups to successfully lower Chicago's homicide rate. Well, you get the idea.
But what's most remarkable — except to the people who know him — is that despite the high-stakes guidance he provides, Matt keeps his cool, his sense of perspective, and his sense of humor. He is relentlessly client-focused, bringing his skills as a careful listener, quick study, and highly responsive advisor into every client relationship.
Hon. James F. Holderman, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1989-1992)
- Matt won a $25.2 million jury verdict – the largest of its kind for a single plaintiff in the Northern District of Illinois – for a client wrongfully convicted and imprisoned.
- Matt won a $13 million federal jury verdict and a nearly $1 million attorney fee award on behalf of Newell Rubbermaid's BernzOmatic division against a key supplier for wrongfully terminating a supply contract, copying BernzOmatic's trade dress, and publishing false advertisements about BernzOmatic's products.
- Matt won a $43 million arbitration award for a federal agency. He prevailed on all eleven issues in the case and obtained an award of arbitrator fees as the prevailing party.
- Matt won a $2.3 million federal jury verdict for a federal agency in a complex insurance dispute.
- Matt won dismissal of a federal indictment charging a bank Vice President with loan fraud.
- Matt won a dismissal of an indictment on behalf of an executive charged with mail fraud and extortion.
- Matt successfully concluded FCPA investigations for numerous international corporations.
- Matt successfully achieved probation for a former Rolls Royce executive charged in a $145 million multi-national foreign bribery scheme.
- Matt successfully achieved probation for an executive charged federally in a wide-ranging municipal bribery scheme.
- Matt won a dismissal of a defamation lawsuit against the American Academy of Pediatrics involving a journal’s First Amendment right to publish scientific research.
- Matt successfully represented numerous companies and individuals in Office of Inspector General investigations.
- Matt successfully defended a Fortune 500 company in contract debarment proceedings.
- In his successful defense of an executive of a major Japanese corporation who was a target of a U.S. Department of Justice Anti-Trust investigation, Matt negotiated transactional immunity and the executive was not charged.
- Matt represented a top executive in a joint U.S. Attorney’s Office and SEC investigation, and vis-à-vis the company’s special litigation committee. The investigation concluded with no charges.
- Matt represented an executive of a healthcare provider in a U.S. Attorney’s Office investigation. The investigation concluded with no charges.
Matt served as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Illinois from 1992 to 2003, rising to Deputy Chief and acting as Project Safe Neighborhoods Coordinator. He investigated and prosecuted:
- White collar crime, including mail, wire, bank, bankruptcy, healthcare and credit card fraud; insider trading; trademark infringement; embezzlement; and income tax violations;
- Public corruption
- RICO violations
- Street gang crime
In 2003, Matt served as Deputy Chief of Staff for Public Safety for Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley’s administration. He was quickly promoted to First Deputy Chief of Staff. He oversaw policies, programs and operations for the City of Chicago, including in the areas of public safety, economic and urban development, human capital, and infrastructure.
Matt also coordinated initiatives among the city’s more than 40 commissioners and agencies, and he was the mayoral liaison to the city’s Law Department and Inspector General’s Office. Matt was instrumental in the development and implementation of a city compliance and reform program.
Matt additionally developed and coordinated strategies with the Chicago Police Department, state and federal agencies, and community groups to successfully lower Chicago’s homicide rate.
EducationUniversity of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1989, with honors, Associate Editor, The University of Chicago Law Review
Drake University, B.A., Economics and Political Science, 1984, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
American College of Trial Lawyers
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Chicago Inn of Court, Past President
City Club of Chicago
Federal Bar Association
Leadership Greater Chicago, Fellow
LGC Fellows Association, Past Board Member
University of Chicago Law School
John Marshall Law School
Criminal Trial Advocacy Program of the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Legal Education
Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America
Best Lawyers® (Appellate Practice, 2012-2018; Commercial Litigation, 2024; Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2013-2024
Chambers & Partners (2012-2022)
Illinois Leading Lawyer
Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2008-2010, 2012-2024)
Top 10 Leading White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyers
Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2019)
Top 100 Leading Business Lawyers
Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2019)
Illinois Super Lawyers
Thomson Reuters (2011-2023)
Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Lawdragon Inc. (2023-2024)
Who’s Who Legal
Law Business Research Ltd. (Investigations, 2019)
Euromoney's Benchmark Litigation (2012-2013)
U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Department of Justice Special Achievement Award
Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association Outstanding Service Award
Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force Outstanding Achievement Award
Drug Enforcement Administration Exceptional Service Award
Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office Special Achievement Award
Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce Crime Prevention Award
Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
Joseph E. Stevens, Jr. Public Practice Award
Elmer B. Staats Public Service Award
“Foiling Fraud: Special Investigation Units, Government Resources, and Case Law in Foiling Fraud,” DRI (leading organization of defense attorneys and in-house counsel) Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Seminar (April 2016)
“Internal Investigations and Corporate Compliance,” Corporate In-House Training Program (November 2015)
“FCPA, Cyber Security, and Data Management – Update and Prevailing Trends,” CLE Program for General Counsel and In-House Legal Staff (October 2014)
“Understanding the FCPA and U.K. Bribery Act: Key to Compliance with Corporate Anti-Corruption Policies,” Corporate In-House Training Program (June 2012)
“Conducting Successful Internal Investigations,” Corporate In-House Training Program (May 2012)
“The Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Endangered Species Act, and RCRA: Environmental Compliance,” Corporate In-House Training Program (April 2012)
“Guidelines and Strategies for Conducting Effective Corporate Internal Investigations,” Corporate In-House Training Program (March 2012)
Civic and Charitable Memberships
Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
Chicago Regional Selection Committee Member
Truman Scholars Association Founding Member
Civic Consulting Alliance
The CARA Program