Don’t let Rodney Perry’s even-keeled manner and low-key sense of humor fool you. He’s a no-nonsense litigator who competes to win. For the past 20 years, Rod has helped his clients when they need him most, resolving complex civil litigation matters and business disputes in courtrooms across the country with confidence and skill.
Rod represents clients in commercial litigation, class actions, and employment litigation matters both locally and nationally in state and federal courts, before administrative agencies, and in arbitration forums. Rod’s considerable litigation experience includes a special emphasis on real estate, financial services, and consumer protection litigation.
Rod has represented financial institutions and other clients in commercial real estate related matters, including commercial (judicial and non-judicial) foreclosures and receiverships, bankruptcy real estate litigation, guaranty litigation, fraud and negligent misrepresentation litigation, lien priority litigation, mechanics lien litigation, title insurance litigation, leasing disputes, and other litigation involving contract interpretation, fraudulent conveyance litigation, land use, zoning and permitting litigation, and property rights disputes.
Rod has defended a variety of clients in complex consumer-related disputes, including putative consumer class actions and individual cases involving alleged violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), as well as state unfair and deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) statutes and other consumer protection laws, statutes and regulations, such as those promulgated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
In addition, Rod has represented employers in defense of claims of race, age, disability, religious and sex discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, and various common law claims.
Hon. Catherine D. Perry, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- Served as lead trial counsel for the lender in a trial in U.S. Bankruptcy Court involving the debtor's objections to the lender's proof of claim related to a multi-million loan secured by a retail shopping center in suburban Chicago.
- Obtained a judgment of non-dischargeability of debt as lead trial counsel for a creditor in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
- Defeated in the trial court and on appeal lender liability and statutory claims against a national banking client.
- Defeated consumer fraud claims in an arbitration proceeding for a national financial services company.
- Obtained a directed finding for a manufacturer of consumer products in a multi-defendant trial involving claims of public and private nuisance arising from the development of a shopping center near a residential area.
- Defeated in the trial court and on appeal in various cases claims against a national retailer in litigation arising out of zoning, permitting and land use disputes related to multi-million-dollar development projects.
- Worked as part of a trial team that obtained a record jury verdict of $75 million in a breach of contract action.
- Served as employment litigation counsel for a 15-state area for national telecommunications company.
- Obtained a directed verdict in a jury trial involving wrongful termination claims.
Washington University, J.D., 1998
Tennessee State University, B.A., 1994
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
Professional MembershipsAmerican Bar Association
National Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
The Cook County Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Section of Antitrust & Unfair Competition
Newsletter Editor (2015-2016)
“The First District affirms sanctions against a judgment debtor raising frivolous defenses," (co-author) Illinois State Bar Association's Bench & Bar Section Council Newsletter (November 2017, vol. 48, no. 5)
"Employment Strategies in Challenging Times: Litigating National Origin and Religious Discrimination Claims in the Aftermath of 9/11,” ABA Annual Meeting (August 2008)
“Litigating Employment Discrimination Actions,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (April 2008)
“Employment Discrimination Based on Disability,” Employment Discrimination 2007 Edition, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal education (2007)
Civic and Charitable Memberships
Legal Aid Society of Chicago, Board Member (2007-2016)
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellow (2015-2016)
Chicago United, Leadership Council