Ron Safer and Eli Litoff are proud to be part of the team that secured Bernard Williams’ release from Cook County Jail on Friday. In February, the Court of Appeals vacated Mr. Williams’ murder conviction and granted a new trial, but a Cook County Judge ordered that Mr. Williams be held without bail until his new trial was completed. RSHC attorneys appealed that decision, arguing that Mr. Williams should be released in light of the Court of Appeals’ ruling that Mr. Williams was unlikely to be convicted based on the evidence against him. Last week, the Appellate Court granted Mr. Williams’ motion, reversed the Cook County Judge’s decision, and ruled that Mr. Williams was entitled to bond. Although the fight for his freedom is not over, we are proud that Mr. Williams, now 40 years old, is out of prison and with his family for the first time since he was arrested at the age of 17.
Diversity & Inclusion
Diverse and inclusive teams are better teams. Better teams deliver better results. At RSHC “diversity” “equity” and “inclusion” are not simply buzzwords, but the essence of our law firm – not just because it is right, not just because a law firm should reflect those we serve, but because of the fundamental truth that the more diverse, equitable, and inclusive our teams, the better the solutions and the greater the value that we produce for our clients.
We believe actions speak louder than words. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is real and demonstrable – but don’t just take our word for it, here’s a list of some of the recent recognitions we have received as a result of “walking the walk” on DEI:
- Chambers USA Awards 2023, Diversity & Inclusion: Outstanding Contribution – Patricia Brown Holmes
- Finalist Chambers USA Awards, Diversity & Inclusion: Outstanding Firm (2023, 2021)
- Vault's Top 150 Under 150 (2022 - 2023)
- Chicago Committee for Minorities in Large Law Firms Delivering Diversity Award (2022)
- Exelon’s DEI Honor Roll (2021 - 2022)
- Law 360 Top Ranked Firm for Diverse Attorney Workforce Nationwide (2018 - 2022)
- McDonald’s EMPOWER Award (2022)
- Ranked Top 10 for Most Diverse Equity Partnership by Law360 (2020 - 2023)
- Vault’s Best Midsize Law Firms to Work For # 6 in Chicago (2022)
- Chicago Committee on Minorities in Law Large Law Firms Commitment & Investment Award (2021)
- Corporate Counsel Women, Influence and Power in Law Awards, Managing Partner of the Year – Patricia Brown Holmes, RSHC (2021)
- Crain’s Chicago Business’ Notable Businesses Championing Diversity & Inclusion (2020)
We strive to be an equitable and inclusive workplace for all of our people, where each contributor is recognized, shows up authentically, and feels the investment of the organization in the individual's future. RSHC is a member of the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance.
For us, diversity, equity and inclusion begin with the names on our door, extends through our partnership and associate ranks, and informs our recruiting, staffing, and vendor choices. We believe that lawyers from different backgrounds provide a better perspective on the problems that our clients face. We are committed to serving our clients with superb lawyers who offer a variety of cultural, racial, and gender perspectives. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining, nurturing, and advancing lawyers from all groups and walks of life and intend to maintain and expand our diverse and inclusive culture.