Eli’s low-key but extremely effective approach to litigation is informed by the insights he gained inside judges’ chambers, having served as a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Rebecca R. Pallmeyer and the Honorable Jeffrey T. Gilbert in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Thorough preparation, candor, and diligence are the touchstones of Eli’s practice. He has successfully leveraged these qualities on behalf of individuals and companies in class actions, complex commercial litigation, and government investigations. Eli also regularly advises clients on compliance programs, including conducting anti-corruption and anti-bribery due diligence.
- Successfully defended a leading airline in putative consumer class actions across the country asserting a variety of claims, including breach of contract, fraud, unjust enrichment, violation of the RICO Act, and violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.
- Represented healthcare services provider in Cook County breach of contract action against a hospital, resulting in a successful settlement for client.
- Represented a healthcare company in a U.S. Attorney’s Office investigation involving fraud committed by the company’s top executives.
- Defended an individual in a state-court tort action brought by his former employee.
- Represented the CEO of a public company in a class action alleging violations of the federal securities laws.
- Represented an individual in a Department of Justice investigation involving bribery of government officials.
EducationLoyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D. 2014, summa cum laude
Lead Articles Editor, Loyola University Chicago Law Journal
Chief Justice, Loyola University Chicago Moot Court Program
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Business Administration, 2009, with honors
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
ACLU of Illinois Next Generation Society, Board Member
Honors & AwardsAward for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois (2016)
“Proportionality in e-Discovery: The Illinois Appellate Court Seeks to Find the Right Fit,” (co‑author) Illinois State Bar Association’s Bench & Bar Section Council Newsletter (April 2017, vol. 47, no. 9)
“Rule 502: Something Illinois Litigants Can Learn From Federal Courts,” (co-author) Illinois State Bar Association’s Bench & Bar Section Council Newsletter (May 2017, vol. 47, no. 10)
“Rule of Preservation in Appellate Law,” (co-author) Daily Report (September 17, 2013)