- Illinois Supreme Court Rules Each Scan Violates BIPA
- Ron Safer, Sarah Finch, and Nick Kahlon Speaking at Perrin Conference RSHC Sponsored Webinar
- FTC Proposes Rule Banning Non-Compete Agreements with Employees
- RSHC Attorneys Publish Article on Illinois Freedom to Work Act
- Nick Kahlon presents on “Trade Secrets: Navigating The Wild, Wild West of Protection, Enforcement, and Damages”
- COVID-19 and its Potential Impact on Contractual Agreements and Force Majeure Clauses
- Price Controls and Protections Against Price-Gouging in Illinois in Wake of COVID-19
- RSHC Attorneys Named 2019 Illinois Leading Lawyers and Emerging Lawyers
- Kahlon, Lee, and Seale, Driving Change, 2018 Chicago’s Notable Minority Lawyers
- Client Alert - Supreme Court Limits Post-Sale Patent Rights
- Client Alert - Supreme Court Limits Patent Venue Options
Nick Kahlon’s approach to litigation is straightforward: out-think and out-prepare the other side. His ease in court is grounded in the knowledge that he has thought through and planned for every detail, and his ease with clients comes from a deep understanding of their business needs.
Nick’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including noncompetes, class actions, patent cases, and other significant business disputes. He has represented some of the largest companies in the world, including leading technology and financial companies, and won cases ranging from the millions to billions of dollars in damages.
As a first-generation Indian American, Nick is passionate about pro bono and community service. He does pro bono work for the Sikh Coalition and other Indian rights organizations, and he is a founding member of the Sikh Bar Association. He also works pro bono with the ACLU on civil rights cases, and is currently representing the city of Chicago in litigation involving the government’s travel ban and sanctuary city policies.
- Won dismissal of purported nationwide class action asserting Section 1981 and Affordable Care Act claims for alleged discriminatory handling of insurance benefits.
- Won preliminary injunction in noncompete and trade secret misappropriation case on inevitable disclosure theory, enjoining former employee from joining any competitors of client for one year.
- Won summary judgment on defendant’s $850 million counterclaim on the eve of trial in high-profile case involving GMO contamination of rice, leading to favorable settlement for client.
- Won dismissal of patent infringement lawsuits brought against numerous healthcare IT companies on non-patentable subject matter grounds, then won Federal Circuit affirmance of decision invalidating the patents.
- Won award in multiyear arbitration granting his clients exclusive control over a closely held company, along with millions of dollars in damages for counterclaims.
- Defended manufacturer of automotive equipment in class action litigation brought by former franchised distributors. Persuaded the court to compel arbitration, then successfully argued motions before arbitrators to deny class relief, and then in the only individual arbitration to go to hearing, he obtained an award in favor of the client plus attorney’s fees.
- Obtained default judgment as discovery sanction in lawsuit for misappropriation of trade secrets, resulting in favorable settlement.
University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2000, Articles Editor, Texas International Law Journal
University of Delaware, B.S., Economics, 1997, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Sikh Bar Association
Indian-American Bar Association
Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF)
Pro Bono Counsel
Honors & AwardsIllinois Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2016-2022)
Chicago’s Notable Minority Lawyers, Crain’s Chicago Business (2018)
Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2015)
Illinois Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters' Illinois Super Lawyers (2009, 2012-2015)
Publications & Presentations
“The FTC’s Proposed Rule Banning Non-Competes: What Companies Need to Know,“ (co-panelist) Perrin Conferences Webinar Sponsored by RSHC (February 7, 2023)
“Amendment to the Illinois Freedom to Work Act Imposes Significant Restrictions on Non-Competition and Non-Solicitation Agreements,” (co-author) Illinois State Bar Association’s Bench & Bar Newsletter (January 2022, vol. 52, no. 4)
“Trade Secrets: Navigating The Wild, Wild West of Protection, Enforcement, and Damages,” (panelist) Association of Corporate Counsel (March 4, 2021)
“Is Coronavirus a Force Majeure Event?,” (co-author) (April 3, 2020)
“Illinois Imposes Price Controls in Wake of COVID-19,” (co-author) (March 26, 2020)
“Lessons from Facebook’s Record $550 Million Biometric Settlement,” (co-author) Illinois State Bar Association’s Bench & Bar Section Council Newsletter (March 2020, vol. 50, no. 6)