- 2023 Illinois Super Lawyers, Patricia Brown Holmes Ranked Top 10 Second Consecutive Year
- Jasmine Morton and Michael Fleck, RSHC’s 2022 Pro Bono Award Recipients
- RSHC Promotes 8 Attorneys to Partnership
- 18 RSHC Attorneys Named to 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™
- RSHC'S 2022 Illinois Super Lawyers, Patricia Brown Holmes Ranked Top 10
- 14 RSHC Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- RSHC's 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers, Holmes and Safer Receive Top Ranking
- Seven RSHC Associates Named to 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
Michael Fleck welcomes a challenge and takes pride in relentlessly pursuing his clients’ best interests. A critical thinker and creative strategist, Mike’s calm and level-headedness arise from his dogged preparation and enthusiasm for tackling issues head on.
Leveraging his engineering background, Mike concentrates on intellectual property litigation and other cases involving complex technical or scientific subject matter. Mike has litigated cases involving medical devices, aircraft safety systems, telecommunications, elevator systems, and cybersecurity. Mike also has significant experience protecting clients’ sensitive business information and inventions using an assortment of tools, including internal business procedures, contracts, and intellectual property protections.
Prior to being a full-time commercial litigator, Mike was a patent prosecutor. He managed global patent portfolios, drafted over 95 utility patent applications, and successfully obtained scores of patents for his clients. Mike’s experience spanned a wide range of technologies, including aircrafts, valves, process control systems, oil exploration and extraction technologies, consumer products, hand tools, stock trading software, telecommunications equipment, sensors, and tracking devices. Now, in litigation, Mike leverages his patent prosecution experience and technical background to master the technical details in his cases and use them to his client’s advantage.
Judicial Extern, Hon. Rodolfo Garcia, Illinois Appellate Court, First District, Sixth Division, (January-May 2011)
- Represented a telecommunications device manufacturer in a patent infringement case. Secured dismissal of the complaint in the district court, affirmance of the dismissal on appeal, and an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a manufacturer of respiratory devices in a multi-forum intellectual property dispute brought against a competitor. Asserted patent infringement and claims stemming from former employee’s actions acquiring patents for defendant on technologies developed by client (including claims for correction of inventorship, breach of employment contract, and unfair competition). Settled after defendant’s attempts to dismiss the case and avoid discovery failed.
- Defended international manufacturer of vehicle arresting systems in a patent dispute. The case resulted in a favorable settlement after defeating the plaintiff’s motion for a preliminary injunction and winning a critical motion in limine on the eve of trial.
- Represented a furniture manufacturer asserting false advertising and unfair competition claims under the Lanham Act against a competitor who distributed commercials comparing its products to the client’s products, resulting in an early, favorable settlement.
- Defended an international apparel manufacturer in a trademark dispute that ended in a favorable settlement following mediation.
- Represented a manufacturer of smartphones and smart TVs against patent infringement claims brought by a well-known patent assertion entity. Obtained dismissal without payment.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of an online coupon company accused of violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Represented clients in three ex parte reexaminations, resulting in all claims of their patents being allowed and the resumption of clients’ district court litigations enforcing those patents.
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2011, cum laude
DePaul Law Review
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Legal Profession, May 2010
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Trial Advocacy II, May 2011
North Carolina State University, B.S.M.E., Mechanical Engineering, 2007, magna cum laude
Supreme Court of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024, Intellectual Property Law, 2022-2024, and Litigation-Intellectual Property, 2024), Best Lawyers®
Illinois Rising Stars in Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters' Illinois Super Lawyers (2015-2023)
RSHC Pro Bono Award (2022)