Michael Fleck welcomes a challenge and takes pride in relentlessly pursuing his clients’ best interests. A critical thinker and creative strategist, Mike’s calm and level-headedness arise from his dogged preparation and enthusiasm for tackling issues head on.
Mike concentrates on commercial litigation, particularly cases involving complex technical or scientific subject matter. Mike has litigated cases involving aircraft safety systems, telecommunications, multi-faceted construction projects, and cybersecurity. Mike also has significant experience protecting clients’ sensitive business information and inventions using an assortment of tools, including internal business procedures, contracts, and intellectual property protections.
Prior to being a full-time commercial litigator, Mike was a patent prosecutor. He managed global patent portfolios, drafted over 95 utility patent applications, and successfully obtained scores of patents for his clients. Mike’s experience spanned a wide range of technologies, including aircrafts, valves, process control systems, oil exploration and extraction technologies, consumer products, hand tools, stock trading software, telecommunications equipment, sensors, and tracking devices. Now, in litigation, Mike leverages his patent prosecution experience and technical background to master the technical details in his cases and use them to his client’s advantage.
Judicial Extern, Hon. Rodolfo Garcia, Illinois Appellate Court, First District, Sixth Division, (January-May 2011)
- Defended international manufacturer of vehicle arresting systems in a patent dispute. The case resulted in a favorable settlement after defeating the plaintiff’s motion for a preliminary injunction and winning a critical motion in limine on the eve of trial.
- Defended an international apparel manufacturer in a trademark dispute that ended in a favorable settlement following mediation.
- Represented a manufacturer of smartphones and smart TVs against patent infringement claims brought by a well-known patent assertion entity. Obtained dismissal without payment.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of an online coupon company accused of violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Represented clients in three ex parte reexaminations, resulting in all claims of their patents being allowed and the resumption of clients’ district court litigations enforcing those patents.
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2011, cum laude
DePaul Law Review
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Legal Profession, May 2010
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Trial Advocacy II, May 2011
North Carolina State University, B.S.M.E., Mechanical Engineering, 2007, magna cum laude
Supreme Court of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Honors & Awards
2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Commercial Litigation), Best Lawyers®
Illinois Rising Stars in Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters' Illinois Super Lawyers (2015 2021)