- 19 RSHC Attorneys Named to 2024 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
- FTC Proposes Rule Banning Non-Compete Agreements with Employees
- 18 RSHC Attorneys Named to 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™
- 14 RSHC Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- TransUnion Decision Provides New Guidance on Article III Standing
- RSHC Litigator Matt Kennison Elected Partner
- Seven RSHC Associates Named to 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- COVID-19 and its Potential Impact on Contractual Agreements and Force Majeure Clauses
An experienced litigator, trusted adviser, and trial lawyer, Matt Kennison represents clients in high-stakes litigations, including those involving antitrust, civil rights, Title IX, civil RICO, shareholder disputes, environmental claims, and automotive supplier disputes. He is routinely called upon to litigate on behalf of a diverse array of clients, including global investment management companies, national insurance companies, college sports associations, automotive suppliers, national transportation companies, colleges and universities, technology companies, and nonprofit organizations. Matt manages all facets of complex discovery, mediation, expert preparation, motion practice, and settlement negotiations, and has been an integral member of multiple trial and appellate teams.
Matt also handles sensitive internal investigations on behalf of a wide array of clients across various industries, including health care, finance, education, and automotive, and has also assisted clients in assessing and structuring internal compliance programs. Matt regularly assists clients in responding to DOJ, SEC, state Attorney General, and other regulators’ inquiries, and his collaborative and creative approach generates opportunities for clients to effectively address the government’s interest. As a member of RSHC’s Education team, Matt has also partnered with colleges and universities to act as the external investigator in highly sensitive Title IX investigations.
Prior to joining the legal profession, Matt served as a detective for the Long Beach Police Department, where he conducted criminal investigations into various felony crimes. The experiences Matt gained while working as a police detective, combined with his legal training and experience, make Matt a uniquely effective and elite investigator and litigator.
Representative Engagements – Investigations and Compliance
- Conducted investigation for automobile dealership financing company into allegations of false reporting and inventory financing by company employees.
- Conducted investigation for regional nursing home operator regarding a government inquiry into Medicare billing policies and procedures.
- Conducted investigations for auto parts manufacturer into employee complaints of alleged violations of federal and state civil rights laws and Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Conducted year-long investigation on behalf of major New York-based college into student and employee accusations regarding faculty misconduct, including sexual assault, academic integrity issues, and narcotics trafficking.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of global asset management company regarding SEC inquiries related to FX trading.
- Conducted investigation for private university regarding sexual misconduct by former professor.
- Conducted Title IX compliance investigation for Chicago-based public university regarding gender equity in its athletic programs.
- Designed and implemented antitrust compliance programs for national corporate clients, including for a national tool manufacturer and regional flooring manufacturer.
Representative Engagements – Litigation
- Defend athletic association in numerous litigations across the country, including antitrust, contractual disputes, and personal injury lawsuits.
- Represent multiple global asset management firms in securities litigations involving a number of financial products, including equities, bonds, and derivatives.
- Defend national insurance companies in multi-district class action litigations, civil investigative demands from governmental authorities, and federal RICO allegations.
- Defend global transportation company in numerous personal injury actions in state and federal courts throughout the Midwest.
- Briefed, argued, and ultimately prevailed in a shareholder dispute in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Defend national chain restaurant from in class action alleging discriminatory actions against restaurant franchisees.
- Represent global auto parts manufacturer in numerous supplier disputes.
- Represent national fitness facility management firm in matters concerning breach of contract and various property tax disputes with local municipalities.
- Represent banking industry corporate executive in investigation concerning fraudulent loans and kickbacks.
- Defend large, private university in several litigations in which the plaintiffs allege violation of Title IX, Title VII, and various other related common law theories of liability.
Antitrust Masters Course, 2016
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2014, cum laude
University of California San Diego, B.A., Political Science, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Member
Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA), Certified Civil Rights Investigator, Level IV
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Antitrust Law, 2021-2022, and Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2022-2024), Best Lawyers®
Michigan Emerging Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers® (2024)
Michigan Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters' Michigan Super Lawyers (2023)
“Is Coronavirus a Force Majeure Event?,” (co-author) (April 3, 2020)
“How New Pricing Technology Raises New Antitrust Issues,” (co-author) (April 13, 2017)
“Court Rejects StubHub’s Antitrust Suit Against Golden State Warriors and Ticketmaster,” (author) (Spring 2016)