Lauren helps clients navigate a wide variety of matters, with a particular focus on commercial and white collar cases. She also handles class actions, internal and government investigations, and cases involving civil rights violations. Lauren has experience in all phases of litigation from investigation through trial, including drafting successful dispositive motions, briefs, and sentencing memoranda, arguing dispositive and expert-related motions, handling all aspects of discovery, negotiating settlements, and preparing and examining witnesses for deposition and trial. Lauren practices in both federal and state court.
Lauren’s experience as a trial paralegal for the DOJ’s Criminal Tax Division, a law student under the tutelage of the University of Chicago’s Federal Criminal Justice Clinic, an attorney in private practice, and a judicial law clerk allows her to view cases and investigations from all angles and to devise creative, pragmatic, big-picture solutions. In both her written and oral advocacy, Lauren has a knack for distilling complex ideas, legal landscapes, and fact patterns into a form that is concise, easy to understand, and persuasive. She understands clients’ goals and doggedly pursues them, which leads to efficient and effective case management and resolution.
Lauren maintains an active pro bono practice. She has obtained a non-custodial sentence for an individual charged with a crime, an order of protection for a victim of domestic violence, an order vacating a wrongful conviction, and renewed status for a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipient.
Hon. Algenon L. Marbley, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio (2016-2017)
Legal Intern, United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia (2012)
- Representing large, public company in multi-jurisdiction, multimillion-dollar contract and intellectual property litigation.
- Representing exonerated individual in pursuit of justice for decades wrongfully spent in prison as a result of police misconduct.
- Representing public and private companies in mass tort litigation related to radioactive materials originating with the Manhattan Project.
- Obtained probationary sentence for individual charged with conspiracy to commit bribery and wire fraud in connection with a scheme involving bribes paid to political officials in exchange for lucrative contracts.
- Defended manufacturer in multimillion-dollar product liability lawsuit resulting in favorable settlement during trial.
- Prosecuted breach of contract action for public utility company through federal bench trial.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client accused in shareholder action of breaching fiduciary duties to two companies he co-owned and managed.
- Integral team member of pharmaceutical company compliance team investigating and resolving allegations of employee misconduct.
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2014, with honors
Three-Year Andrew D. and Eleanor C. Collins Merit Scholarship Recipient
Federal Criminal Justice Clinic, Student Member
Research Assistant, Criminal Law
Law Student Association, Vice President, Secretary
Women's Mentoring Program, Co-Chair
Chicago Inn of Court, Student Member
Washington University, B.A., French and Political Science, 2009, with honors
CALI Award from the Law School
Pi Sigma Alpha
Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Toulouse, France, Spring 2008
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Honors & Awards
2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Criminal Defense: White-Collar and Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions-Defendants), Best Lawyers
Illinois Emerging Lawyer in Class Action/Mass Tort Defense and Commercial Litigation Law, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2021)
Languages Spoken & Fluency
Women's Mentoring Program, Mentor
Chicago Bar Foundation Investing in Justice Campaign
Riley Safer Holmes & Cancila LLP, Co-Chair (2019)