With a data-driven perspective shaped by years as a Fortune 200 legal executive, Thomas Andreoli is a business lawyer and litigator focused on resolving complex disputes successfully and efficiently. C-Suite clients value his ability to resolve matters on time, on budget, and with complete closure.
Tom has hands-on experience in complex litigation, government investigations, regulatory compliance, risk management, and business transactions. His work has been particularly focused on the transportation and energy sectors, helping companies maximize business opportunities and minimize regulatory constraints. Tom has secured wins for clients on mission-critical issues including property rights, federal preemption, and successor liability.
As a leader in the law department of a major freight railroad, Tom implemented top-to-bottom changes in litigation service delivery introducing measurable case management and performance metrics, reducing team size and budget, and implementing alternative fee arrangements – with no loss in productivity or increase in payout on claims. He applies that experience to his own practice, crafting flexible approaches to each matter based on the client’s business objectives and building diverse teams whose skills align with case needs.
In corporate and firm roles, Tom has delivered legal and strategic counsel on a wide portfolio of litigation including class actions, catastrophic damages and personal injury cases, and high-value commercial disputes. He has tried cases in federal and state court, appeared in agency proceedings, and argued on appeal. His clients trust him to mitigate risk, implement best practices, and ensure alignment with business objectives.
Prior to his law career, Tom was chief policy advisor to Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley and an associate editor at a major business publication. Clients recognize his skill as a candid, insightful counselor and a concise, effective communicator who translates legal and technical concepts into actionable business advice.
- Secured multi-million-dollar recovery in contract dispute with pipeline company. Defeated dozens of related class action lawsuits by property owners along railroad right-of-way and re-established company commercial rights across thousands of miles of railroad property.
- Won federal declaratory judgment action releasing railroad from 150-year-old state law requirement to maintain fixed percentage of its total workforce in Texas municipality.
- Defeated hundreds of million dollars in property damage claims by insurance fund and cut off liability from corporate predecessor for past and future mine subsidence claims.
- Won state supreme court ruling, delivering complete victory against more than $6B in class action claims from catastrophic flooding in Midwest.
- Won multi-million-dollar award in contract dispute with metropolitan transit system operator.
- Won multi-million-dollar award in shipping dispute with international railroad.
- Defeated transit agency action to condemn 40% of railroad mainline leading into Chicago and obtained federal appellate court decision affirming preemption against state regulation of railroads.
- Implemented top-to-bottom reorganization of Fortune 200 company litigation service delivery. Reduced budget by 39% and team size by 35%. Cut number of outside counsel firms by more than 60%. Implemented alternative fee arrangements for most work.
- Delivered legal support for multi-billion-dollar deal with U.S. automaker handling contract drafting and supporting business team in high-stakes negotiation against strong competitor under tight deadlines.
- Innovated and secured new contract structure on billion-dollar-plus deal with Japanese automaker to avoid rerouting of business away from company.
- Advised business team on renegotiation of long-term contract with U.S. waste management company. Avoided tens of millions in losses and won new higher-margin business opportunities.
- Co-lead on team that submitted company’s case before U.S. Surface Transportation Board opposing top-down regulatory restraints on railroad revenues.
- Key member on regulatory team that secured $80M rate case win for Illinois natural gas utility.
- Defended multi-agency rate fraud investigation against Illinois natural gas utility.
- Defeated $20M discovery sanctions motion. Won related court case requiring disclosure of utility employees’ secretly recorded telephone conversations by energy trading firm.
- Resolved sweeping multi-agency federal, state, and local prosecution of Chicago rental property management company for lead-based paint disclosure violations.
- Spearheaded Fortune 200 law department service attorney program, guiding professional development for in-house legal team by building expertise in business and client relationships.
- Restructured in-house trial team with focus on diversity, service excellence, and client engagement. Company recognized team as model and replicated structure at other regional offices.
- Obtained new trial for client sentenced to 53 years for armed robbery and bail jumping based on actual judicial bias in habeas corpus petition before Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Served three months as special assistant public defender, pro bono. Tried six cases with three defense verdicts.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1997
Northwestern University, M.S., Journalism, 1987
University of Texas, B.A., Plan II Honors Program, 1986
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
American Bar Association
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Board Member (2020-2021)
Omaha-Council Bluffs Red Cross
Board Co-Chair (2018-2019)
Board Member (2015-2020)
Field Museum of Natural History
President’s Leadership Council (2007–2014)