Tal Chaiken is a tenacious litigator who successfully represents clients in class actions and other complex disputes nationwide.
She uses her outside-the-box thinking to develop strategies that lead to early victories and save client resources. When faced with complex disputes, she conducts critical factual analyses that turn cases around, researches legal issues creatively and efficiently, and drafts winning briefs. Tal's approach to litigation combines a focus on the legal dispute at hand with the utmost consideration for her clients' business needs. Her work leads to positive outcomes that promote her clients' long-term objectives.
Tal has successfully participated in a bench trial, argued substantive and procedural motions in federal and state courts, defended victories on appeal, and assisted in or managed all stages of litigation, including fact discovery, expert discovery, trial, and appeal.
Tal has a deep commitment to pro bono work, and has represented clients in various areas, including wrongful convictions and civil rights.
- Defended a leading insurance company against class actions in over ten states challenging method of adjusting property damage claims.
- Won pre-certification summary judgment on behalf of United Airlines in a class action challenging breach of a loyalty program.
- Successfully defended United Airlines in several purported class actions related to checked baggage policies, frequent flyer award pricing, and other contract-based claims, resulting in dismissal of the cases before discovery.
- Successfully defended leading insurance company in purported class action for breach of contract and bad faith related to the insurer’s subrogation rights for medical payments made under automobile insurance policies.
- Resolved litigation for a plaintiff alleging damage to its seed and herbicide business caused when defendant’s GMO rice contamination convention rice seed stocks, after the Court dismissed the defendant’s $850 million counterclaim.
EducationUniversity of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2012
Managing Editor, The University of Chicago Legal Forum
University of Chicago, B.A., 2009, with honors, in Economics
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Honors & Awards
Emerging Lawyer in Commercial Litigation Law, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2018)Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois (2016)
“Defendants dismissed without prejudice can be named as respondents in discovery,” (author) Illinois State Bar Association's Bench & Bar Section Council Newsletter (May 2018, vol. 48, no. 10)
“Most Favored Nation Clauses,” (co-author) Practical Law Company (2013)
Pro Bono Activities
Represent wrongfully convicted individuals in post-conviction relief and certificate of innocence proceedings, including obtaining the first ever Certificate of Innocence awarded to a wrongfully convicted person in Peoria County, Illinois.
Successfully represented same-sex couple in discrimination suit before the Illinois Human Rights Commission.
Resolved lawsuit on behalf of prisoner alleging inadequate medical care.