Commanding courtrooms is second nature for Rachel Sifuentes after years of service to four federal judges as an extern and law clerk. Clients in high-stakes commercial, class action, and intellectual property litigation, or facing investigation by government regulators, all turn to her to resolve their cases, often before they start.
"Your briefs cover all the bases" and "Your crystal-clear advice is exactly what we needed" are just some of the things that Rachel's satisfied clients say about her.
A trusted advisor to individuals and organizations alike, Rachel’s practice encompasses a diverse range of areas. She has successfully defended dozens of class action suits brought by plaintiffs alleging claims ranging from employment discrimination, to fraud and deceptive practices, to marketing defective products, among many other claims. She represents financial institutions, corporations and other entities, as well as individual executives, in regulatory, civil, and criminal investigations and enforcement proceedings. Fortune 500 companies frequently turn to Rachel for bet-the-company complex commercial litigation. Rachel also advises clients on state and federal intellectual property laws related to patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
Rachel has advocated for her clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts around the country, and she is licensed in both California and Illinois.
Hon. Barbara A. McAuliffe, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California (2015-2019)
Hon. Stanley A. Boone, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California (2016-2019)
Hon. Sheila Finnegan, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2014-2015)
Judicial Extern — Hon. Elaine E. Bucklo, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2008)
- Obtained early dismissal of class action suit alleging defectively designed home gardening product against world leader in outdoor equipment design and manufacturing, brought by an aggressive specialist in consumer class actions and personal injury claims.
- Counseled multi-national aircraft engineer, aerospace-component, and defense company on early termination of services contract in challenging situation involving multiple entities and plans for continued global business development with the other parties.
- Advocated for an insurance company in a state regulatory enforcement action until the regulator withdrew its order to produce and respond and agreed to settle the matter without litigation.
- Convinced a federal court to throw out a proposed class action suit alleging illegal commissions, fraudulent conduct, and unfair business practices based on the sale of third-party travel insurance for flights booked on the website of a major American airline.
- Representing Fortune 100 energy company in copyright infringement dispute brought by opportunistic energy industry publisher copyright troll with unique arguments and equally aggressive countertactics.
- Argued a novel legal issue before a federal circuit court of appeals in pro bono case representing asylum immigration petitioner seeking protection from threats of forced marriage.
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 2010
Associate Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
Virgil B. Day Merit Scholarship Recipient (3 years)
Public Service Star Award Recipient
Claremont McKenna College, B.A., Religious Studies, 2004
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
American Bar Association
Hispanic National Bar Association
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Insurance Law, 2022, and Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions-Defendants, 2021-2022), Best Lawyers®
Illinois Emerging Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2020 2021)
Lawyers of Color Hot List of Outstanding Minority Attorneys Under 40 (2013)
Rachel is deeply committed to community service, including by devoting her legal acumen to providing pro bono legal services. Since Rachel was a law student, she has worked with the Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law. Rachel was part of the legal team for Maurice Patterson, who served eight years behind bars for a murder that he did not commit before he was exonerated. Rachel was also part of the legal team for Jason Strong, who was wrongfully convicted of murder, and served fifteen years before being exonerated. Rachel has also donated hundreds of hours of pro bono legal assistance through Chicago Volunteer Legal Services.
Outside of the courtroom, Rachel also served on the Board of Directors of the California Women’s Storybook Foundation, an organization dedicated to helping incarcerated women maintain relationships with their children through reading. She is also a proud mentor of several students interested in pursuing legal careers through a program run by her undergraduate college.