Nathan Howze is a business attorney focusing on venture capital and private equity financings, emerging companies, mergers and acquisitions, and cannabis businesses. He serves as trusted outside counsel to clients in a diverse range of industries, including technology, food and beverage, cannabis, life sciences, airport concessions, and real estate, and he provides practical, strategic advice to help close his clients' most important deals.
Nathan frequently advises venture capital funds, family offices, sponsors, entrepreneurs, and emerging companies on debt and equity financings, capital raises, mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, business contracts, and other general corporate matters. He has helped to form, finance, and buy and sell hundreds of established and emerging businesses. Nathan also advises cannabis businesses and investors on regulatory compliance matters and applications for coveted cannabis licenses.
- Represent $500,000,000 venture capital fund in equity and convertible debt financings in domestic and international portfolio companies.
- Represent $70,000,000 venture capital fund in equity and convertible debt financings in Black, Latinx and Women owned companies located in Chicago’s South and West side neighborhoods.
- Represented lead investors in $137,000,000 investment in an innovative and sustainable packaging company.
- Represented major investor in a $60,000,000 Series B financing of a New Zealand-based technology company.
- Represented lead investor in a $45,000,000 Series B financing of an Ireland-based biotechnology company.
- Represented sellers in $16,000,000 sale of international medical device company.
- Represented buyer in $15,000,000 acquisition of cigar bar and liquor distiller.
- Represented applicants in successfully obtaining cannabis dispensary and infuser licenses in the highly competitive Chicagoland area.
Loyola University Chicago Quinlan School of Business, M.B.A., 2016
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2015
Utah Valley University, B.S.A. Behavioral Sciences (Social Work emphasis), 2011
American Bar Association
Business Law Section
Cannabis Law & Policy Committee, Vice Chair (2019)
Private Equity & Venture Capital
Chicago Bar Association
Business Law Committee
Honors & Awards
2022 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Corporate Law), Best Lawyers®
Illinois Emerging Lawyer in Cannabis Law, Closely & Privately Held Business Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Securities & Finance Law, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2021)
“From Regs to Riches: Navigating the Rapidly Emerging Fields of Cannabis & Hemp Law,” (panelist) American Bar Association/Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Chicago, IL (September 19-20, 2019)
“Six Tips to Marketing Yourself,” (presenter) Giving Power to Adolescents (GPA) Youth Conference, Chicago, IL (June 16, 2016)
HFS Young Professionals Board Scholars