Nathan Howze is part of RSHC's Business Transactions team, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, complex commercial contracts, and construction. He frequently works with private equity and venture capital investors in equity investments and recapitalizations. Nathan also advises businesses and entrepreneurs in the heavily regulated and emerging cannabis industry. Nathan’s cannabis clients include operating dispensaries and extraction facilities as well as investors and individuals applying for coveted cannabis licenses.
As a JD/MBA, Nathan understands that legal advice is just a fraction of a whole in a complex business organization. He serves as trusted outside counsel to clients in a diverse range of industries and provides practical, business savvy advice on how to best navigate the laws and regulations governing their businesses.
Nathan is committed to serving underprivileged individuals and nonprofit organizations. He actively participates in his church, on nonprofit boards, and in his community. Nathan also enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, and cheering on his beloved Bears, Cubs, and Bulls.
- Represented buyer in $11MM asset purchase of property management company.
- Represented $50MM fund in the formation of second venture capital fund.
- Represented and managed portfolio companies of $150MM venture capital fund.
- Represented buyer in $5MM stock and real estate purchase of a food company.
- Successfully advised client in obtaining medical cannabis dispensary license in the highly competitive Chicagoland area.
- Counseled and advised nonprofit organizations on compliance and corporate governance matters. A national sorority chapter now uses documents drafted by Nathan as a model for other local sorority chapters across the U.S.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2015
Executive Editor, Loyola Consumer Law Review
Black Law Student Association (BLSA)
Cali Award for highest grade in Legal Writing and Client Counseling
Loyola University Chicago Quinlan School of Business, M.B.A., 2016
Utah Valley University, B.S.A. Behavioral Sciences (Social Work emphasis), 2011
Professional MembershipsAmerican Bar Association
Business Law Section
Young Lawyers Division
Tort Trial & Insurance Practice (TIPS)
Chicago Bar Association
Business Law Committee
Illinois State Bar Association
“From Regs to Riches: Navigating the Rapidly Emerging Fields of Cannabis & Hemp Law,” (panelist) American Bar Association/Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Chicago, IL (September 19-20, 2019)
“Six Tips to Marketing Yourself,” (presenter) Giving Power to Adolescents (GPA) Youth Conference, Chicago, IL (June 16, 2016)
“Taxation of Nonresident Aliens: A Step-By-Step Analysis,” (presenter) UIC Postdoctoral Association Workshop, Chicago, IL (March 2014 and 2015)
“Safety Data Sheet: tips to reduce risk,” (co-author) (July 2014)
ABA Cannabis Law & Policy Committee, Vice Chair
CBF Investing in Justice Campaign, Vice Chair
HFS Young Professionals Board Scholars
Chicago ToolBank, Board of Directors
J. Reuben Clark Law Society Chicago Chapter, Board of Directors