Clients looking to stay ahead of the curve in complying with evolving environmental regulations look to Nacenté Seabury to address issues before they become legal problems. When enforcement actions do arise, Nacenté draws upon her experience within the EPA to provide business-minded strategies that protect her clients’ interests and advance their goals.
Focusing her practice on environmental litigation and regulatory matters, Nacenté has defended large and mid-sized businesses, waste disposal companies, and construction firms in civil litigation and administrative enforcement actions. She has also counseled clients on regulatory compliance under numerous state and federal laws, such as The Clean Water Act; Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA); Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA); Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); Clean Air Act; Endangered Species Act; Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA); California’s Proposition 65; and various state environmental laws.
Clients appreciate Nacenté’s unique inside perspective as a former Attorney-Advisor at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This experience working on enforcement and compliance matters from the other side of the table informs her practice, giving the regulated community one more tool to rely upon when vigorously defending their interests. From penalty negotiations to handling compliance orders, Nacenté advocates for regulatory solutions that help her clients do the right thing for the environment – and their businesses.
Nacenté also has an extensive background in toxic tort, mass tort, and product liability matters throughout the nation. She routinely focuses her attention on pre-trial work such as briefing, discovery, and depositions. Believing in the strength and necessity of teamwork, she collaborates with litigation teams to build innovative and active defense strategies for clients.
Legal Extern, The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA-Ghana) (2012-2013)
- Represented personal injury case for insured regional transportation company in Jackson County, Missouri. Successfully obtained motion to dismiss for failure to state claim with prejudice.
- Obtained numerous dismissals without prejudice on deposed witnesses, minimizing testimony on national mass tort cases.
- Collaborated with state and local regulatory bodies to aid in development and permitting of large renewable energy construction projects.
- Conducted environmental due diligence and permit reviews for large industrial property transfers and renewable energy construction projects.
- Advised clients on mitigating personal liability risk under CERCLA and the Oil Pollution Act when participating in transactions involving contaminated property.
- Directly engaged federal regulatory agencies on behalf of clients for matters arising from Clean Air Act and FIFRA.
- Drafted and negotiated consent orders, consent agreements, administrative complaints, and administrative compliance orders relating to enforcement of Clean Water Act, FIFRA, and TSCA.
- Successfully negotiated with the Environmental Protection Agency to obtain a modified restoration plan and reduced administrative penalty for a mid-size mining company client.
Washington University in St. Louis, J.D., 2014
Black Law Students Association (BLSA)
Women's Law Caucus
Africa Law Project
University of Missouri-Kansas City, B.A., 2011, cum laude
Vice-Chancellor's Honor Recipient for Leadership
United States District Court of Kansas
United States District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas (pro hac vice)
Black Female Attorneys of Missouri and Kansas
International Federation of Women Lawyers
Jackson County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Product Liability Litigation), Best Lawyers®
Top 40 Under 40 in Missouri, The National Black Lawyers (2021)
Member of the Centurions Leadership Program of the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce (2020-2021)
Languages Spoken & FluencyFrench, Conversational
“Diversity matters: confronting implicit bias with jury diversity, commercial and business litigation practice points,” (author) American Bar Association (August 28, 2016)
“When regulators come knocking: Practical tips for government inspections,” (speaker) Mid-America Safety, Health and Environmental Conference and Expo, Missouri Association of Manufacturers (April 29, 2016)
“Law 101: Employment law,” (speaker) Jackson County Bar Association (April 2016)
“Voices from the trenches: Managing your legal career as a new diverse attorney, the business suit,” (co-author) DRI (April 24, 2015)
University of Missouri-Kansas City, College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Board