Mariangela Seale is a problem-solver who cares deeply about her clients. For Mariangela (better known as Merili), that means working tirelessly to make sure their legal needs are accomplished in an efficient and effective manner.
Though she has successfully represented clients in a wide range of complex and challenging lawsuits in jurisdictions across the country, Merili starts by looking for ways to circumvent protracted litigation, either through compelling and persuasive legal arguments or the negotiation of beneficial settlement agreements. In addition, she regularly counsels businesses on their general legal matters, including bankruptcy and restructuring.
Merili has defended corporations encompassing all aspects of the litigation and alternate dispute resolution process in cases involving consumer fraud, deceptive trade practices, breach of contract, trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and product liability. She prides herself on developing creative legal strategies that are designed to achieve her clients’ goals.
- Defended aircraft manufacturers in multi-state litigation arising out of commercial airline accident.
- Represented insurer in multiple individual and class actions involving a wide variety of claims including bad faith and breach of contract.
- Represented various corporations in high value litigation to recover damages for breaches of contracts.
- Successfully defended large retail chain in high exposure breach of contract litigation.
- Served as national counsel for major product distribution company filing and defending vendor and customer disputes throughout the country.
- Successful enforcement of trade secret rights on behalf of a manufacturing supplier to the automotive industry, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Successful defense of a patent infringement case involving medical simulation devices, four patents and multiple international defendants, including obtaining a transfer out of the Eastern District of Texas.
- Advised food service company on issues ranging from supplier agreements to bankruptcy matters.
- Represented employer in a federal class action involving over 14,000 class members.
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D. 2007
Cornell University, B.S., 2004
Honors & Awards
Illinois Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2017-2020)
Nation's Best Advocates 40 Lawyers Under 40, National Bar Association (2019)
Chicago’s Notable Minority Lawyers, Crain’s Chicago Business (2018)
Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute (2017)
Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2017)
Black Women Lawyers' Association, Scholarship Fund Board (2017-2018)
CircEsteem, Board of Directors (2012-2017)
Legal Aid Society Junior Board, Executive Committee (2008-2010)