Layla Dotson Lumpkin is the right mix of intelligent, confident, and outgoing. She is a passionate competitor and a high performing team player with a winning attitude. Her focus, interest in and understanding of her clients’ businesses, and drive to respond creatively enable her to deliver successful outcomes for her clients.
Layla concentrates her practice in business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing, venture capital and private equity fund formation, commercial contract drafting, and serving as outside general counsel. She enjoys working with entrepreneurs and began representing them during law school as a student clinician in the Bluhm Legal Clinic Entrepreneurship Law Center. In serving her clients, whether early stage companies or multinational corporations, she is also able to draw on her experience before law school working in Finance and Accounting at a Fortune 50 company.
Committed to volunteering and improving the well-being of the underserved in her community, Layla is past Associate Board Chair of a non-profit that provides resources to social entrepreneurs. She has lectured to students and minority and women entrepreneurs about legal issues when forming a business. She seeks to expand her reach to the community by volunteering through the Junior League.
Layla’s enjoyment of what she does, planning ability, and creativity carries over into her family life. She takes great pleasure in cooking, entertaining, and event planning, including an annual family and friends barbeque (known as “BBQPalooza”), sports, woodworking, and crafting.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a chain of over 25 pharmacies in its $25MM sale to a strategic buyer.
- Represented specialty cooling client in its $35MM bid to sell the company.
- Represented a private equity buyer in its $300MM add on acquisition of a specialty battery manufacturer.
- Represented franchisee in the sale of a specialty fitness franchise.
- Represented distributor of manufacturing equipment and products in the $7.4MM sale of a portion of its assets to its primary supplier.
- Represented document storage company in the sale of its electronic document storage business to a strategic buyer.
- Represented specialty financing company in its $60MM sale of the business to a private equity buyer.
- Represented private equity fund in the acquisition of a specialty supply company.
- Represented a regional health insurance provider in its $22MM sale to a strategic buyer.
Venture Capital & Emerging Companies
- Represented startups in initial limited liability company or corporate formation and exchange/conversion into a Delaware C-corp.
- Represented venture capital fund client in portfolio company investments.
- Represented technology enabled specialty clothing company in its Series Seed financing.
- Represented $50MM fund in the formation of second venture capital fund.
- Represented $65MM venture capital fund in final closing.
- Represented technology client in convertible note raise.
- Represented leading Chicago venture capital fund in the formation of a new venture capital fund.
- Represented lead investor in its investment in a consumer products company.
Commercial Lending & Specialty Finance
- Represented commercial lenders in initiating and extending asset-based loans to finance transactions and refinance existing debt (loan values range from approximately $5MM to $25MM).
- Represented specialty financing company in capital lease financing transactions.
Commercial Contracts/Outside General Counsel
- Served as outside general counsel to and drafted, reviewed, and negotiated commercial contracts for companies in various industries.
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, J.D., 2011
Northwestern Bluhm Legal Clinic, Entrepreneurship Law Center
Articles Editor, Journal of Law and Social Policy
Pritzker Faculty Research Fellow
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, B.S. Business Administration, 2006, magna cum laude
The National Black Lawyers
Women's Association of Venture & Equity
American Bar Association
Texas Bar Association
Honors & Awards
The National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 (2018)