A versatile counselor, Laura Kleinman Malhotra represents the full spectrum of clients – from Fortune 500 companies to early-stage startups – in high-stakes government investigations and complex litigation at the trial and appellate levels.
Laura has defended major companies and their top-level executives in investigations and litigation brought by the U.S. Attorney's Office, SEC, FTC, FINRA and other government agencies. And she has successfully litigated contentious civil matters on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in trial and appellate courts across the country. Although comfortable with myriad substantive issues, Laura has a wealth of experience resolving disputes related to regulatory compliance, data/privacy protection, intellectual property, and commercial matters for healthcare/life sciences, tech, and university clients.
Laura has also served as Director of Worldwide Commercial Litigation at a massive global tech company in the wake of a department-wide corporate reorganization. She managed a robust portfolio of high-exposure litigation and investigations around the world, while simultaneously conducting a full-scale audit of the litigation department, significantly reducing corporate exposure and helping turn a multi-million-dollar budget deficit into a multi-million-dollar surplus.
After graduating from Harvard Law School, she served as a law clerk for the Honorable Jane E. Magnus-Stinson in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
Hon. Jane E. Magnus-Stinson, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Following a major corporate reorganization, Laura managed worldwide commercial litigation and worldwide government investigations for all of Lenovo and Motorola, assessed and mitigated the companies’ high-level organizational risk, advised key members of the businesses, audited and streamlined critical internal processes, built cohesion between the litigation department and the businesses, managed tech/IP transactions and hired/on-boarded a new litigation team.
- Laura was an integral part of a small trial team that won a $400 million judgment on behalf of corporate shareholders in an international RICO conspiracy case, and of the appellate team that successfully defended the judgment in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Laura obtained reversal of a Seventh Circuit judgment in high-profile class action litigation against a Fortune 50 company.
- Laura was an integral part of a team that won a nationwide injunction against the federal government’s imposition of unconstitutional conditions on federal funding.
- Laura argued and won summary judgment on behalf of an international jewelry company in a contentious commercial dispute.
- Laura led a two-person team that achieved reversal of a purported statutory violation in the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Laura was integral to a two-person team that achieved a reversal of a wrongfully dismissed retaliation claim in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Laura was an integral part of a small team defending a major provider of nursing home services in a federal investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s office and pursuing RICO claims against the former executives of the company.
- Laura managed an internal investigation into alleged sexual misconduct by executives of a major company.
- Laura was critical to a team defending high-level employees of an international financial institution in a high-profile investigation by FINRA and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Laura represented national financial institutions in post-closing investigations and litigation arising out of misconduct by officers and directors.
- Laura has represented a state insurance commissioner as receiver for an insurance company in professional liability claims against former directors and officers.
Harvard Law School, J.D., 2010
Executive Editor, Harvard Human Rights Journal
Membership Director, Harvard Legal Aid Bureau
Teaching Assistant: Torts, Introduction to Trial Advocacy
Washington University in St. Louis, B.A., Philosophy, 2007, summa cum laude
Harry S. Truman Scholar
Washington University Danforth Scholar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
American Bar Association
Outreach Committee Co-Chair
Chicago Bar Association
Leadership Institute Member
Honors & AwardsIllinois Emerging Lawyer in Civil Appellate, Civil Rights/Constitutional, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, and Employment Law, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2016 2019)
Laura is co-counsel in a class action filed on behalf of 2,000 inmates in the super-maximum security divisions of the Cook County Jail. The inmates allege violations of their constitutional rights arising out of violence at the jail.
Laura is also co-counseling a class action filed on behalf of hundreds of prisoners in the Illinois Department of Corrections who are serving indeterminate sentences for crimes committed in the 1970s. The lawsuit alleges violations of the prisoners' statutory rights because their eligibility for parole is not being evaluated lawfully.
Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights
Young Professionals' Advisory Council President
Shriver National Center on Poverty Law
Associate Board Membership Chair
Truman Scholars Association