Before becoming an attorney, Lance Cidre worked for a global investment management firm where he amassed a wealth of knowledge about the financial world while fulfilling responsibilities ranging from trading securities to managing corporate tax issues. This experience, combined with his business-focused mindset, makes Lance a valuable asset to his clients.
While he considers himself a generalist, Lance has spent most of his legal career focusing on several of the most common types of commercial litigation, including employment and personal injury law. A stickler for preparation, he recognizes the value of developing a thorough understanding of a client’s business concerns so he can create pragmatic solutions tailored to their unique needs.
Lance is an adept litigator with experience in settlement negotiations and mediation. He has defended cases throughout the state and federal courts of California as well as the California Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, and he has also worked on a variety of matters in other states, including Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and Arizona. Whether in the courtroom or at the bargaining table, he always looks to achieve the best possible result for his client.
- Lance has litigated numerous actions in the state and federal courts of California on behalf of employers defending claims for age, gender, race, national origin, and disability discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, failure to accommodate and/or engage in the interactive process, interference with FMLA/CFRA rights, as well as actions alleging wage and hour violations such as failure to pay overtime or provide meal and rest breaks. Each time, Lance has been able to secure either a favorable judgment or a negotiated resolution.
- Lance regularly advises and counsels clients, including those with unionized workforces, on a variety of labor and employment matters, including compliance with the NLRA and state and federal anti-discrimination laws, disability/leave issues, and employee classification concerns. He also assists clients in navigating dealings with Cal/OSHA and other state and federal agencies, including the EEOC and DFEH.
- Secured summary judgment for employer in California state court in age/gender discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination action brought by supervisor terminated for cause. Following entry of judgment, obtained judgment for costs against former employee. Former employee then followed up with a separate action in which she claimed to have been misclassified as exempt, and alleged failure to pay overtime wages along with a variety of wage/hour violations and general labor code violations. Successfully leveraged results of first action in obtaining highly favorable resolution of second action on behalf of employer.
- Authored California Supreme Court amicus brief on behalf of the National Retail Federation and National Association of Manufacturers advocating for the proper—and ultimately prevailing—interpretation of California’s seven-day workweek statute as it relates to the payment of overtime wages and employee scheduling.
- Lance regularly defends a nationwide food distributor and its drivers in a variety of motor vehicle and trucking matters involving injuries to drivers, pedestrians, and contractors across a number of jurisdictions in cases ranging from mere fender bender collisions to catastrophic injury claims and wrongful death actions, and Lance has assisted in achieving favorable negotiated resolutions in each. Lance also responds on-scene to fatality accident investigations and assists in the initial investigation and evidence-collection/preservation efforts.
- Lance regularly defends power tool and outdoor products manufacturers in product liability actions involving amputations and other serious injuries in various state and federal courts.
- Lance routinely represents manufacturers and transportation/logistics companies in premises liability and other personal injury actions involving injuries to contractors, ranging from slip-and-falls and vehicle accidents to serious burns and other permanent injuries.
- Secured highly-contested summary judgment victory on behalf of architect in multi-million-dollar construction litigation action.
- Defended international hotel group and franchisor in a variety of business litigation actions, including suits alleging contractual violations and fraud, violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and other alleged civil and consumer rights violations, including denial of access and violations of state and federal credit reporting and debt collection statutes.
EducationUniversity of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude
Editor, Hastings Law Journal
Jessup International Law Moot Court, 2012—Second Place Oralist Award
Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court, 2011—Best Oralist Award
Top Student Awards in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing & Research
Stanford University, M.A., East Asian Studies (China), 2009
Stanford University, B.A., Political Science (International Relations), 2006
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
Professional MembershipsAmerican Bar Association
Bar Association of San Francisco
Honors & Awards
Northern California Rising Star (2016‐2017), Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers