Justin Corbalis is an adept litigator with an eye for strategy and a commitment to client service. For three years, he honed his skills as an exhaustive researcher and persuasive, informative writer by clerking for two federal judges in the Northern District of Illinois. His first year, spent at the magistrate level, taught him the nuances of the discovery process and pretrial strategy. This trend continued at the district court level, where he gained command over the rules of evidence, trial management, and complex civil motion practice.
As an associate in the Class Actions, Commercial Litigation, and Products, Environmental, and Mass Tort Litigation groups, Justin approaches litigation with a keen understanding of judicial decision making coupled with a focus on practicality and efficiency. He leverages cutting-edge technology, such as artificial intelligence, to streamline document reviews and deposition preparation, cut costs, and focus on what matters. His experience includes representing Fortune Ten companies in commercial and toxic tort class actions, whistleblower claims, environmental mediations, tax appeals, complex bankruptcies, and pro bono work for the National Women’s Law Center and other women’s rights groups. But his skills are not limited to litigation: Justin has a penchant for administrative law and statutory interpretation, and he has served as outside counsel to national developers and world-wide payment processors advising on state and federal regulatory compliance—ranging from sports gambling law to the development of a billion-dollar gas pipeline project. This broad experience not only allows Justin to serve as a one-stop shop for a multitude of client needs, but also provide a unique perspective through which he shapes his litigation strategy.
Outside of the law, Justin can be found practicing and competing in Jiu Jitsu with the Carlson Gracie team here in Chicago, honing his skills as a (former) chef, and practicing classical guitar. These experiences have equipped Justin with confidence, sharpness, and a tireless dedication necessary to win; whether it be in the courtroom or on the mats.
Hon. Ronald A. Guzmán, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2015-2017)
Hon. Maria Valez, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2014-2015)
Judicial Extern, Hon. Freda L. Wolfson, U.S. District Court of New Jersey (2013-2014)
- Dismissed a multi-million-dollar shareholder oppression action against a national machine parts manufacturer within three months of leading the case.
- Won tax exempt status on behalf of a private/federal lodging partnership with installations on military bases across the United States.
- Defended a national telecommunications provider against Telephone Consumer Protection Act and consumer fraud class actions.
- Represented various industrial manufacturers in CERCLA mediations, achieving favorable reductions in the clients’ proportionate shares of responsibility for remediation costs.
- Decertified a class alleging toxic tort claims against an industrial cleaner.
- Successfully appealed an adverse domestic violence ruling on behalf of a victim of domestic abuse, which set new precedent for evidentiary hearings involving non-native English speakers in New Jersey.
- Advised world-wide payment processor on Wire Act and Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act compliance for sports betting operations across the United States.
- Advised one of the nation’s largest private equity firms on environmental compliance for a billion-dollar port development and gas pipeline project.
Rutgers School of Law, J.D., 2014, magna cum laude
Managing Editor, Journal of Law & Philosophy
2014 Graduate Award for Scholarly and Practical Excellence in Writing
BarBri Rep.; Organizer of Lecture Series: Balancing Law & Life
The College of New Jersey, B.A., Philosophy, 2010
Languages Spoken & FluencySpanish, Conversational
Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, (contributing author) West (2016, 4th ed.)
National Women’s Law Center