As a lawyer, friend, and family member, Joy wants to get to yes. She’s a patient listener, a careful thinker, and a calm advocate. These are the characteristics that make her a skilled and natural negotiator, representing the best interests of her clients as Joy seeks solutions that will allow them to prosper.
Part of the firm’s commercial litigation group, Joy represents clients in a variety of complex matters in both federal and state court. She has defended clients against charges of various state and federal statutory violations, and she advises clients with respect to breach of contract and other tort claims. Joy has also defended and advised a university against breach of contract and Title VI and IX claims as part of her work with the firm's Higher Education practice. Her clients have included large banks and financial institutions, private universities, a leading foodservice distributor, and a real estate capital management company.
Joy is also active in the firm’s airport concessions practice, representing concession operators in their efforts to win ACDBE (Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprises) certification and recertification.
Joy is committed to public service and has an active practice representing incarcerated individuals in prisoner civil rights cases. While in law school, Joy participated in the Notre Dame Mediation Clinic where she provided free mediation services for domestic relation and small claims matters. In 2013, she was a family law intern at a legal aid agency, assisting with motions, pleadings, and settlement agreements.
Originally from Colorado with family roots in Panama, Joy takes pride in treating her friends to homemade Latin-Caribbean cuisine.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in high exposure breach of contract action.
- Defended financial institutions in various suits involving lending practices.
- Represented small and large corporations in litigation to recover damages for breaches of contracts.
- Advised and defended large, private university in Title VI and IX litigation.
- Successfully defended clients against small-claims matters brought by former employees.
- Represented corporations in defense of product liability and other tort.
- Counselled employers on drafting employee handbooks and implementing new mandatary paid sick-leave laws.
University of Notre Dame, J.D. 2015
Colorado State University, B.A., cum laude, 2012
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
National Black Law Students Association, Executive Board Member (2012-2015)
“Copycat-Walk: Parody in Fashion Law,” (co-author) The Federal Lawyer (January/February 2017)
“Insurance Coverage and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act,” (co-author) Financier Worldwide Magazine (March 2016)