Josh’s colleagues and adversaries admire him for his intellect, energy and ability to quickly adjust focus and direction when necessary. His clients value him for his experience, integrity and fierce tenacity, but they also appreciate that these qualities are tempered by his ability to recognize when the moment is right to avoid litigation by negotiating a mutually advantageous settlement. Josh is a creative strategist but he’s also a canny pragmatist who understands that there is always more than one pathway to a solution.
Josh has litigated, negotiated and settled countless cases across the country and around the world. He has guided companies ranging from startups to established international corporations in every aspect of their business. His range of experience encompasses class actions, mass torts involving product liability and consumer fraud, intellectual property disputes, and collective bargaining agreements. His cases have involved genetic engineering, pharmaceuticals, crop science, trade secrets, civil conspiracy, asbestos, child-safety products, and catastrophic fires and explosions.
Hon. Marilyn Kelly, Michigan Supreme Court (2002-2003)
- Josh effectively managed a criminal investigation by European regulators. Despite missteps before he was retained, Josh’s clients avoided both criminal prosecution and civil penalties.
- Josh’s last-minute trial retention threatened to up-end an entire mass-tort scheme. As a result of Josh’s work, his client negotiated a favorable long-term resolution.
- Josh’s trial work dismantled long-running civil conspiracy litigation against his client. An appellate court upheld the result.
- After taking over from prior counsel, Josh put an end to litigation that had held his client hostage for nearly a decade. An appellate court upheld the victory Josh obtained for his client.
- Josh defeated a motion to consolidate litigation, eliminating his client’s involvement in a mass-tort scheme.
- In California, Josh defeated a plaintiff’s novel theory of liability. Josh’s victories there, and in Michigan, Alabama, Wisconsin, and elsewhere, have extinguished plaintiffs’ attempts to expand his clients’ liability.
- Josh’s civil rights work led to significant changes in the treatment of civilly-committed individuals.
- Josh’s assessment and management of client risk fosters successful sales and acquisitions and helps his clients free up capital to support strategic growth.
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2002
Valparaiso University, B.A., B.S., 1998, Christ College Scholar in Humanities
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Professional MembershipsAmerican Bar Association
Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
Ethics and Professionalism Special Standing Committee, Past Chair
Continuing Legal Education Board
Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee, Past Chair
Asbestos Litigation Task Force
International Association of Defense Counsel
Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Honors & Awards
Illinois Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2016-2018)
Illinois Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters' Illinois Super Lawyers (2008-2015)
Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2017)
Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2015-2016)
Edmund S. Muskie Pro Bono Service Award, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (2015)
Law in Public Service Honor Roll, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (2014)
Outstanding Young Alumnus, Valparaiso University (2014)
Peer Reviewed AV® Preeminent™ Martindale‐Hubbell (Since 2014)
Named to “40 Under Forty” Illinois Attorneys to WatchExcellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service, Judges of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
“The Role of DNA in Asbestos Litigation,” (panelist) Perrin Conferences Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference, Beverly Hills, CA (March 6-7, 2017)
“Epigenetics in the Courtroom,” (panelist) IADC Mid-Year Meeting (2016)
“Recent Developments in Appellate Advocacy” (co-author) Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal (Winter 2015)
“Epigenetics and Causation in Toxic Tort and Environmental Law,” (moderator) Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association’s 24th Annual Spring CLE Meeting (April 2015)
“A Cautionary Note for Lawyers in Asbestos Litigation,” (co-author) Law360 (March 7, 2014)
“Recent Developments in Appellate Law,” (co-author) Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal (Fall 2013)
“Recent Developments in Toxic Torts and Environmental Law,” (co-author) Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal (Fall 2013)
“Jury Selection and Jury Persuasion in Federal Trials: It Isn’t as Limited as You Might Think,” (panelist) HarrisMartin Federal and State Asbestos Litigation Conference, Naples, FL (Feb. 21, 2012)