Josh’s experiences during his army career sharpened his leadership skills, deepened his resolve to serve others, and convinced him that his next job had to be one where he could remain as fully engaged and challenged as he had been in the military. He chose corporate law, where his ability to remain calm and focused in the face of even the most chaotic circumstances continues to serve him well.
Although the legal world is somewhat less daunting than some of the other places he’s been, the challenges he has encountered so far, as he helps his clients navigate their way successfully through complex issues of product liability, commercial litigation, and white-collar defense, have convinced him that he’s still where he needs to be and doing what needs to be done.
Hon. Joseph S. Van Bokkelen, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana (2014-2015)
- Josh has participated in and led numerous internal investigations with a particular focus in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Josh has a particular interest in working with start-up companies in industries regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) and (“USDA”). In the past year Josh drafted a start-up guide for a new-to-market food company navigating FDA and USDA compliance concerns and assisted in the drafting of a legal opinion for a pharmaceutical company bringing an innovative therapy regimen to market.
- Josh also has extensive litigation experience and has prepared financial advisors, chief financial officers, and executives for high-stakes depositions or government proffers.
- Part of the team that represented a financial advisor against serious, but unfounded, allegations of self-dealing and malfeasance. Following the financial advisor’s deposition, Plaintiff’s counsel agreed to dismiss all claims against the financial advisor.
- Josh has functioned as negotiation and settlement counsel for clients in breach of contract and shareholder disputes nationwide.
- Part of the team that successfully defended the enforceability of a broad exculpatory agreement/waiver of liability for an adventure company in a personal injury action resulting in the dismissal of several claims at an early stage of the litigation.
- Josh also serves as part of a small team of lawyers assisting numerous Fortune 500 companies that litigate mass tort claims filed against the companies and their subsidiaries. Josh assumed responsibility for managing discovery, deposing plaintiffs, fact witnesses, and experts throughout the country, and litigating cases around the country on behalf of these clients.
- Part of the team that conducted an internal investigation on behalf a global leader in appliances that uncovered an executive’s scheme to defraud and embezzle the company’s real property assets.
- Josh has also participated in numerous white-collar defense matters based on alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, and embezzlement of funds subject to federal regulation (ERISA).
- Josh also maintains a robust pro bono practice where he represents prisoner civil rights claims and wrongful conviction matters in state and federal court. Recently, Josh secured an appellate victory for an incarcerated prisoner in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which led to the reinstatement of the prisoner’s retaliation claims against prison officials.
University of Indiana - Bloomington, J.D., 2014
University of Indiana – Bloomington, MS in Strategic Management, 2015
United States Military Academy at West Point, B.S., 2001
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Chicago Bar Association
Federal Bar Association