Deborah Bone is comfortable with complexity. Her ability to master and own the facts of cases that involve scientific or highly technical matters is widely recognized and regarded by clients and colleagues alike.
Deborah has a knack for helping clients navigate intricate and often convoluted regulatory regimes. Clients frequently rely on her to serve as a bridge between technical in-house departments and government regulators to avoid costly disputes. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US), Deborah keeps her clients a step ahead of the ever-evolving web of privacy and cybersecurity regulations. In a rapidly evolving legal world where electronic discovery has become an essential part of high-stakes litigation and investigation, her technological savvy and pragmatic approach help her clients keep costs down and efficiency up.
In addition to representing companies and individuals in federal and state court and regulatory settings, Deborah has successfully defended clients in international arbitrations and court-ordered mediations. She currently concentrates her practice in white-collar litigation, regulatory and environmental enforcement, internal investigations, compliance, and toxic torts.
Deborah’s experience spans a wide range of litigation, regulatory, and compliance matters.
- Advising clients on domestic and international privacy laws, including HIPAA regulations, the development of privacy policies and cybersecurity training.
- Conducts investigations and develops reports and recommendations for a variety of internal investigations, including compliance risk assessments, accusations of discrimination at educational instructions, and investigations into alleged regulatory reporting violations.
- Representing and advising clients in state and federal environmental enforcement actions, including New Source review litigation and criminal actions.
- Defending a public company in arbitration in a multi-million-dollar breach of a distributorship contract, cumulating in no award to the plaintiff.
- Management of complex electronic discovery, including developing strategies for the projection and review of large volume and highly-technical documents and data.
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D. 2011
Pennsylvania State University, B.A. Psychology, B.A. Public Relations, 2006
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Justice Council, Center on Wrongful Convictions, Secretary
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Board of Directors
ACLU of Illinois Next Generation Society Board, Secretary
International Association of Privacy Professionals, CIPP-US Certification