- Deborah Bone publishes "How to Ensure Your Data Collection Complies with COPPA," the next installment in her monthly column for Built In.
- Deborah Bone Publishes Next Monthly Built In Column on Tech and Law
- Deborah Bone Launches Monthly Column for Tech Outlet Built In
- Deborah Bone and Kelly Warner Offer Insights on Limiting Liability for Remote Learning Providers
- RSHC Attorneys Named 2019 Illinois Leading Lawyers and Emerging Lawyers
- RSHC ANNOUNCES THE ELECTION OF FOUR NEW PARTNERS
Deborah Bone has a knack for helping clients navigate intricate and often convoluted regulatory regimes. She vigorously defends clients against private plaintiff suits and regulatory enforcement actions. To avoid costly disputes, clients frequently rely on her to serve as a bridge between technical in-house departments and government regulators. She has significant experience assisting clients with a broad variety of internal investigations and represents clients in investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and local and state agencies.
Deborah litigates matters across a variety of industries and disciplines, including private plaintiff suits, class actions, commercial disputes, and actions brought by government agencies. She is widely regarded by clients and colleagues for her ability to master the facts of cases that involve highly technical matters.
Deborah keeps her clients a step ahead of the ever-evolving web of privacy and cybersecurity regulations. In a rapidly evolving legal world where electronic discovery has become an essential part of high-stakes litigation and investigation, her technological savvy and pragmatic approach help her clients keep costs down and efficiency up.
In addition to representing companies and individuals in federal and state court and regulatory settings, Deborah has successfully defended clients in international arbitrations and court-ordered mediations. She currently concentrates her practice in white collar litigation, regulatory and environmental enforcement, internal investigations, compliance, and toxic torts.
Deborah’s experience spans a wide range of litigation, regulatory, and compliance matters.
- Defending utility and manufacturing clients against personal and property injury actions alleging environmental exposures from operations and services.
- Representing and advising clients in state and federal enforcement actions and government investigations, including those brought by the Department of Justice, Environmental Protection Agency, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and local and state agencies.
- Conducting compliance risk assessments and internal investigations, including investigations into alleged regulatory reporting violations and sensitive employment and discrimination allegations.
- Advising clients on domestic and international privacy laws, including HIPAA regulations and the California Consumer Privacy Act, and the development of privacy policies and cybersecurity training.
- Defending a public company in arbitration in a multi-million-dollar action for breach of a distributorship contract, cumulating in no award to the plaintiff.
- Management of complex electronic discovery, including developing strategies for the projection and review of large volume and highly technical documents and data.
Northwestern Pritzker University School of Law, J.D. 2011
Pennsylvania State University, B.A. Psychology, B.A. Public Relations, 2006
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Justice Council, Center on Wrongful Convictions, Secretary
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Board of Directors
ACLU of Illinois Next Generation Society
Honors & Awards
Illinois Emerging Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, and Environmental Law
Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2017-2020)
Top 100 Emerging Women Lawyers
Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2020)
Top 100 Emerging Lawyers in Real Estate-Related Areas of Law
Law Bulletin Media Leading Lawyers (2018-2020)
“How to Ensure Your Data Collection Complies with COPPA,” (author) Built In (October 27, 2020)
“These Small Changes in Interface Design Could Save You From Big Legal Headaches,” (author) Built In (August 31, 2020)
“How to Avoid the Legal Risks of Biometric Data Collection,” (author) Built In (July 16, 2020)
“Remote Learning Providers are Getting Sued Over Data Collection. Here’s How to Limit Your Liability,” (co-author) Built In (June 11, 2020)