Andrew Calderón doesn’t run from fire. Large employers and other business clients depend on Andrew to help manage sensitive and high-stakes matters with a focused, disciplined approach that solves problems and achieves results.
Serving clients in the technology, communications, and cryptocurrency sectors, as well as other industries, Andrew is noted for his responsiveness and flexibility. Business leaders know they can trust Andrew as an “anywhere, anytime” litigator, ready to work on their most contentious challenges.
Andrew has experience litigating civil disputes in state and federal courts across the country and in arbitration. His work includes legal research and case analysis, requesting and analyzing discovery, communicating with clients and opposing counsel, drafting motions and pleadings, appearing in court, preparing for and arguing motions, defending depositions, performing trial preparations, and drafting settlement agreements.
Prior to attending law school, Andrew spent nine years as a police officer in Long Beach, California. His experience as a narcotics detective gives him a unique perspective on handling investigations, dealing with stressful situations, and managing complexity. Similarly, his service as a field artillery officer in the California Army National Guard — including a year on active duty overseas — honed his ability to lead teams and focus on getting missions accomplished.
Legal Extern, United States Attorney’s Office, Criminal Division, Central District of California (2016)
Judicial Extern, Hon. George H. Wu, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (2015)
- Successfully argued a motion to compel an online review forum to reveal the identities of a corporate client’s former employees who posted defamatory online reviews in violation of a separation agreement.
- Served as the lead associate managing the defense of a cryptocurrency company against various employment discrimination claims.
- Drafted a federal complaint against a client’s former employee for trade secret theft and violations of an employment agreement.
- Assisted in drafting an arbitration demand against a client’s former employee who was threatening to sue in violation of a separation agreement.
- Negotiated a settlement of breach of contract claims and crossclaims involving two medical technology companies.
- Successfully defended against a wireless telecommunications company’s attempt to dismiss a privacy claim in federal court for the victim of a large cryptocurrency theft enabled through an unauthorized subscriber identification module transfer.
- Substituted into a case right before trial in California state court and successfully drafted a motion and argued to re-open discovery.
- Drafted a complaint and oppositions to two motions to dismiss in New York Supreme Court.
- Participated in drafting appellate briefs on behalf of an application developer involving a trademark dispute.
- Drafted federal appellate briefs on behalf of individual and corporate clients in a defamation action.
- Helped draft successful motions to compel discovery in a fiercely contested antitrust dispute involving a Global 500 retailer.
University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 2017
California State University, Long Beach, B.A., Spanish, 2012, magna cum laude
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Languages Spoken & Fluency
Brazilian Portuguese, Fluent
“BLOCKCHAIN: Blockchain & Obstacles to Adoption: Ease of Use, SIM Swaps, Fraud & Liquidity,” (co-panelist) Infinity Festival, Hollywood, CA (November 8, 2019)