Alissa Kelso is calm under pressure, detail oriented, and has a passion for research and writing. She enjoys delving into the details of a case to think of new ways to solve problems for her clients.
Alissa possesses an interesting secret weapon. She’s a trained military interrogator. After spending five years with the U.S. Army Reserves learning and mastering effective debriefing and interrogation techniques, she knows how to collect information in a friendly but definitely effective manner. Needless to say, it’s a skill that comes in handy in her profession.
She’s an avid sports fan and never misses an opportunity to watch the University of Michigan’s football team. Alissa loves living in Chicago because, like her native city of Detroit, it is well supplied with major professional teams. When she’s not cheering in the stands, she’s busy enjoying Chicago’s beautiful parks, beaches, and museums with her husband and young daughter.
- Alissa assisted in securing a successful plea deal for a banking executive in an SEC administrative proceeding.
- Alissa worked with the 21st General Counsel of the United States Department of Transportation, to assist a public entity in securing a $1 billion federal grant to fund a major infrastructure project.
- Alissa advised a public entity on aspects of litigating before the Surface Transportation Board.
- Alissa has prepared client responses to state and federal government subpoenas and request for information.
- Alissa has reviewed employee files for a major pharmaceutical company to ensure compliance with the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Alissa has helped to reduce the maximum sentence for a client charged with bribery and wire fraud from a maximum of 19 years to a maximum sentence of less than 5 years.
- Alissa has drafted briefs for appeals before the Illinois Appellate Court and assisted with preparation for oral argument.
- Alissa has all aspects of litigation for clients in the food, industrial product, and glass industries, including taking and defending depositions, drafting and answering discovery, a negotiation with opposing counsel, and briefing.
- Alissa has handled major document review and production projects for clients in the insurance and pharmaceutical industries.
Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2015
University of Michigan, B.S., 2011
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Black Women Lawyers Association of Greater Chicago, Inc.
Illinois Bar Association