Alison’s success as a litigator comes from being hard-wired for tireless research and technical curiosity. Understanding that many complex cases hinge on subtle and complicated distinctions, she always arrives prepared. She can size up a witness within minutes, and cross-examine with an insight to character that is as disarming as her scientific know-how.
Alison has litigated cases involving issues related to patents, trade secrets, trademarks, privacy, contracts, business disputes, and license disputes. In addition, she counsels clients frequently on these issues.
- Alison has significant experience in intellectual property matters, ranging from initial counseling and clearance to litigation.
- She concentrates her practice on patent litigation for both start-up and Fortune 500 clients in numerous industries, including medical device, software, ecommerce, semiconductors, pharma, and mechanical engineering. She also has experience in trademark, trade secret, and licensing litigation.
- Her litigation experience ranges from pre-litigation advice to appeal. She has substantial trial experience and has been asked to join trial teams shortly before trial. In one instance, she was part of a team that took over a case 60 days before trial when prior counsel fell short of client expectations. She led the team in the day-to-day preparations for trial, formulating new offensive and defensive theories and prepared experts on the new theories; the matter settled satisfactorily the night before trial began with the plaintiff dropping its settlement demand by over twentyfold in the 60 days.
- She has secured injunctive relief and recovery of lost profits and fees for clients claiming patent infringement.
- In addition to her work on intellectual property matters, Alison also litigates in other fields, including business disputes, employment, and product liability.
- Alison has litigated cases in a number of jurisdictions, including federal courts in Delaware, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, Florida, Virginia, D.C., Texas, Minnesota, Michigan, Missouri, and California, as well as state courts in Washington, Oregon, and California.
- As well as litigation, Alison has extensive experience counseling clients on intellectual property portfolio management and patent and product lifecycle management strategies.
EducationLewis and Clark Law School, J.D., 2006, cum laude, Member, Lewis and Clark Law Review, Dean's Fellowship Recipient
Saint Louis University, B.S, Biology, B.A., Chemistry and Psychology, 2002
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Federal Circuit Bar Association
California Bar Association
Bar Association of San Francisco
University of California, San Francisco – Hastings College of the Law, Intellectual Property Law, Adjunct Professor (Spring 2019)
“Identifying and Leveraging Trade Secret Claims Post-DTSA”, Chicago Bar Association (September 28, 2016)
“Employees and Your IP,” (December 2016)
“Essential Developments in Patent Subject Matter Eligibility: What Lies Ahead in 2017?,” (panelist) The Knowledge Group Webcast (June 27, 2017)